Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the ever presence of diabetes

i just want to start by thanking you all for your support for my new diabetic youtube channel - i have been overwhelmed with your kindness and comments - and i'm so glad you all liked the new dark chocolate mousse recipe 

now onto today's topic: the ever presence of diabetes.

jasmine of wonderful diabetes blog silver lined recently wrote a post about how many times in one day she thinks about diabetes. she documented it for a day, just to see how frequently she had to think about something related to D. and the post is LONG. like seriously, very long. 

and i figured i couldn't help but agree - i probably think about it a similar amount of time. i can't help but be aware of it...each time my body twinges, or i get thirsty or tired, or am about to drive or do exercise, i think about my sugar levels. 

but i am SO glad that i do! i can't tell you how many other diabetics i've come across who pretend that they are non-diabetic and can do and eat whatever they like, but then end up in hospital or with a sky high hbA1c or with horrible complications at a young age. 

i tell you, i'd rather be aware of all that's going on, because when i am, i feel empowered, i feel strong... i think that it might be possible to have kids one day, and that i might live free of complications in the future.

and that's what all the work is for... it's investment into a healthy future.

so, no matter if i check my bg level every two hours, and i make sure i drink enough and spend time preparing meals so i know how much and what type of carbohydrate is in something. so what if i'm the person that orders oddly at the restaurant, or the guest who brings a salad to a host's dinner party, or the woman who has to go out for a walk when everyone else is sat relaxing.

there's a lot of people in the DOC and even doctor's that will tell you that you don't have to live a different life when you have diabetes. but my own experience tells me that this isn't true - the more i tried to be 'normal' the less healthy i became, and the more frustrated and depressed i was. 

it was only through accepting my diabetes, and managing it properly - to a point when it's actually a joy to check your level because you know it will be a good number not bad - that i have come to feel better, look better and not be afraid of what the future holds for me.

and yes, it can be annoying to live with it everyday - especially as it's pretty invisible to others - but i think all the effort you put in is totally worth it. so give yourself a pat on the back and feel truly blessed to be alive and thriving! and be grateful that you can walk, talk, eat, smile and enjoy life!

2 comments:

The DL said...

You make a very important statement here, the "acceptance" of diabetes I believe is the most important first step to being in control. I spent man years denying that I had diabetes and I was different. Great post! Thank you for the other blog references too. I love reading what other blogs people read so I read new ones. Thanks again!

Jasmine said...

Thanks for your kind words, Alissa! It is definitely better to be aware.

I think one of the major reasons I've been able to be in mostly good control since my diagnosis (as an adult) is because I did accept it right away. I spent a lot of time attempting to persuade my husband to quit smoking because of the awful consequences, and I knew that uncontrolled diabetes would be equally as bad. Acceptance is the only way to live your healthiest life, I think.