Friday, April 15, 2011

a diabetes camp for adults

so, i was wondering today about diabetes retreat centres and camps for adults. i never went to any diabetes camps as a child, but i always kind of wish i had - and i think of what an encouraging place it would be...

there's this post on tudiabetes about adult camps, and i just think that there's so many people looking for it, that it basically kinda warrants someone to come up with a solution...

during the past few months it's been wonderful to have the support of fellow type 1's on this blog and on tudiabetes, and i've learnt so much! and i guess i just wish i could meet other diabetics in real life to talk things through with even more. and a place where i could learn new recipes, or be encouraged to exercise more.

i've always liked the idea of a holiday where all my needs are taken care of, and i could eat EVERYTHING on the menu (how awesome would that be?). or like a cooking holiday in france which incorporated gentle bike rides to the local market to pick up fresh produce.

the only thing is that i'm not a dietician, or a diabetic nurse, or a landowner. at the moment anyway. so, even though i love the idea, it's not exactly within my power to begin it - as much as my entrepreneurial spirit might want to!

so, before i get carried away, and start searching for appropriate land space in france, please chime in and tell me your opinion... is there one in europe that i've just never heard of? or is there a great one elsewhere in the world that i should really visit?

and just for fun, in your dreams, what would you want the perfect adult diabetes camp to be like?

health and happiness 

6 comments:

The DL said...

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!! I would LOVE an adult camp. I think it would be so fun and I always wish I had gone as a kid as well. I was 15 when I was diagnosed and I thought I was "cooler" than camp. Great post! Thank you!!

Michael Hoskins said...

Now that you mention it, that's a GREAT IDEA! We've been talking about that for a little while in the U.S. end of the DOC, and there's already some Adult D-Camp options in Canada and apparently some overseas. One group doing this is Connect In Motion which has a great site. But we're also talking about it in the U.S., possibly something in the middle part of the country - like here in INDIANA, where we have a GREAT d-camp already and seems like a perfect spot. Many would be so excited to attend, and it's got the foundation of interest already. Just have to get it off the ground!

Kara said...

There is a new diabetes camp for adults starting in August! Go here for more information: http://www.diabeteseducationcamp.com

Amanda Rose said...

http://www.diabeteseducationcamp.com is really expensive and not really a camp - the participants stay at a hotel. I never got to go to diabetes camp, we didn't have the resources, but I am dying to go now! I am 26. I think my dream would be to meet other like me and talk shop, but also just be able to have camp fires, go swimming and have people around you who are going through the same things you are. Only 1 day a year do I get to see my diabetic friends when I volunteer for the tour de cure. I would love you meet more friends going through the same things in life as I am.

Jenn said...

I went to Texas Lions Camp in Texas at the age of 13. And When I was dianogsed with diabetes at 14, I knew there were a week of diabetic kids at Texas Lions Camp, I never wanted to go because I was so ashamed and emabrassed that I was a diabetic, with "speical" needs, I've had enough on my plate before I knew diabetes, i was already deaf. why more problems? Now, being a diabetic for more than a decade, I do wish that there are retreats for adults with type one, to get together and talk, make friends and feel comofortable. I want that. That would be so GREAT.

Jenn said...

That would be bad-ass (pardon my language), hee-hee. I have had diabetes for more than a decade. When I found out, I was really ashamed and embarassed because before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was already deaf since birth. I refused to accept that I have diabetes for so long. And now, I'm open about it, eager to talk about it with my fellow diabetics. I even set up a page "diabetes for the deaf" on facebook. I would love that- a retreat or a camp for type one diabetes. :)