Wednesday, March 10, 2010

low in the night

going low in the night is something i've been struggling with since i changed my basal rates after the awful january blues i had.

i'm so glad i actually wake up though! the only 'episode' i ever had was during the night, so I'm happy to wake up...it doesn't annoy me at all. i tend to find myself becoming more and more conscious, and then more aware of how hot i am feeling, and then aware of the dizziness i feel as i try to sit up to find some water.

it clicks that i'm low, and although i've always got a snack next to my bed, sometimes i'll get out of bed and have late night toast with some honey instead (snacks can be expensive, so i don't like to eat them unless it's 100% my last option)

sometimes i'll have some lemonade instead, depending on how low i feel, and how tired i am. sometimes i've been known to roll over, fumble for a snack in my handbag, open the packet, and munch very slowly and thoroughly whilst my head is still on the pillow and my eyes are shut. and then once i finish just fall straight back into sleep. i only realise i went low when i have a dodgy taste in my mouth in the morning, and there's an empty packet lying on the floor.

i really hate the fact that i've had disturbed sleep, but i can't quite seem to find the balance, sometimes i'll wake up with an ok level after that, or i'll wake up earlier in the morning with another low.

the reason for these lows is usually exercise, as i don't usually get much of it, and i never remember to adjust my basal rates! perhaps if i exercised more frequently then i would have better control? of course i would. i must put that on my to-do list :)

have you had scary night time experiences, or do you check your levels during the night? - i used to do that, but when i'm really tired i don't hear my alarm to wake up!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Alissa! I've noticed the more frequently I exercise the more stable my blood sugar at night. The other thing that can jack me up is what I eat and how soon I eat it before going to bed. My metabolism is crazy different between certain foods. The usual suspects throw me off like pizza, pasta and potatoes because my body seems to take it's sweet ass time trying to break those down but foods on the other end of the glycemic index like fruits and white flour products are in and out of my blood sugar within the hour sometimes.

Keep at it and try to run some "tests" by trying to eat similar meals at the same time in the evening and checking your blood sugar before, after and before you go to bed. You can see if it's your bolus or basal that is the culprit of the low.

Just my two-diabetes-cents! Good luck!

-Mike

Toucan Scraps said...

TJ is regularly going hypo in the night. We have to do regular testing thougth the nights to catch them. Things are getting better since switching to the pump,and we hope to get her basal correct at night soon.

demotutorial said...

I really think that you would need to exercise more often. This would counter the dragging feeling and exhaustion at night!
diabetic neuropathy