Friday, August 07, 2009

travelling with a pump, so far...


i was so worried before i left, and so was the rest of my family, that travelling with patrick (my insulin pump) would be really difficult, what with airport security, time difference and jet lag.

BUT, so far so good. my levels have been awesome, i've managed to find healthy food everywhere we've gone, and have stayed level despite the time differences and hugely long flights with not much sleep.

so much for diabetics having a lower immune system...i feel fighting fit, and although i'm currently running on not much sleep, i feel pretty alert and well!

what i've done is just change the time on my insulin pump once i've got to the next country, so when I arrived in Oz I changed it forward 8 hours.

exercise is definitely making a difference in keeping me level....i must remember to have more regular exercise when i settle back into normality.

and as for the airports, they've hardly noticed, except at Cape Town International where they didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and at Johannesburg where they were pretty rude.

anyways, as always, feel free to ask any questions if you have any queries :)

1 comment:

newamanda said...

Hi Allisa,

My daughter named her pump "Pumpy". Gload that I found your blog. I'll keep lokking out for your new post. Take care.

Reagrds,
Fun